That would be me, Mrs. Moglie. Married to a native Italian, Mr. Marito.
Mother to a daughter in high school, Ms. SmartyPants and a son in middle school, Mr. Uometto.
Employed at a private British School as an English teacher and Coordinator of Children's Studies.
Part of a small, but growing Protestant church in Frascati, a small town in the hills just outside of Rome.


This is where I sometimes gripe, complain and grumble about the things I dislike, have yet to get used to or simply don't understand about bella Italia.
I do, however, have many people, places and things that I dearly love and I am more than aware of being blessed by each and every one of them.
Also - a few helpful posts for visitors to Rome or for newly arrived ex pats. Check the side bar for tags. I've even some recipes that I've borrowed, tweaked or invented. One thing I've come to love about Italy is how it's changed the way I eat - slow food !! Although ... I do miss Taco Bell ... and Jack in The Box ... and KFC ... and ::sigh::
Thanks for stopping by !!


Thursday, November 25, 2010

Castroni Makes Thanksgiving Possibile (in Rome)

This is a wonderful store with wonderful things and all sort of wonderful wonderful wonders. Here, I can find so many of the preservative laden and colorant drenched mass produced foods that my non-elevated triglyceride level yearns for. Pancake syrup, Chili mix, chipped beef (for Mr. Suocero who remembers his very first taste given by American GI's during WWII), peanut butter, grape jelly, Hummus mix -- the list goes on and on and marvelously on.  But egad! it's so expensive. 
















I've seen a small bottle of a Canadian brand maple syrup for 9€. That's 11.60 in dollars !! Nothing is cheap, here. Nothing. But when no one else in all of Italy has evaporated milk, Castroni will. And this is why I love it, despite the terrible cost ... and the toll it takes on my shoulders and arms. There are a couple of store locations, but all in the city center, so that means long subway rides and walking. Traffic in that area is so nerve wracking, Mr. Marito would surely age 10 years after every trip, so I prefer to save him from this early untimely death. Because of its location and its high prices, I don't go there often, but when I do, I try to make the most of it and stock up on all these bad-for-my-health non-necessities. Hence, my shoulders and arms hurt after a trip to Castroni ... a lot.




The peanut butter shown here is about 360 grams and costs 4.60€ for Skippy and 5.20€ for a lesser known brand. 




The photo to the left is actually from a supermarket near me. I don't recognize the name brand (SAVE), but the taste is not too bad. The price is still quite high, but better than Castroni's. It's 4.49€ for about 510 grams. 








Then there are items like this one - not to be found anywhere in all of Italy (American military bases excluded), bought and brought back to Italy and passed from friend to friend to finally reach the intended recipient ^__^ me !! An American friend who attends a sister church up north in Montebelluna had the kind heart to bring this back for my Thanksgiving meal. 

It may seem a silly thing, but my life here in Italy is blessed and beautiful because it's made up of many little silly things just like this. 

Happy Thanksgiving !!

No comments: