That would be me, Mrs. Moglie. Married to a native Italian, Mr. Marito.
Mother to a daughter in high school, Ms. SmartyPants and a son in middle school, Mr. Uometto.
Employed at a private British School as an English teacher and Coordinator of Children's Studies.
Part of a small, but growing Protestant church in Frascati, a small town in the hills just outside of Rome.


This is where I sometimes gripe, complain and grumble about the things I dislike, have yet to get used to or simply don't understand about bella Italia.
I do, however, have many people, places and things that I dearly love and I am more than aware of being blessed by each and every one of them.
Also - a few helpful posts for visitors to Rome or for newly arrived ex pats. Check the side bar for tags. I've even some recipes that I've borrowed, tweaked or invented. One thing I've come to love about Italy is how it's changed the way I eat - slow food !! Although ... I do miss Taco Bell ... and Jack in The Box ... and KFC ... and ::sigh::
Thanks for stopping by !!


Monday, December 27, 2010

Mirror Mirror in the Elevator

Would you believe me if I told you I didn't own a mirror? Ok, ok. What if I told you I owned only one mirror? Well, that's the truth. I own one mirror and it hangs on my bathroom wall, but I can only see the top portion of myself - nothing below my elbows. If you're a man, you're probably thinking, "So? What's the big deal?" And if you're a woman, you're probably feeling very sorry for me.


















The only way I can see myself entirely is if I wait until it's evening and dark and look at my reflection in the living room doors (made of glass) that lead to the terrace, but it's not a very clear image. The only other time I can see myself entirely is when I take the elevator in my building. This has got to be the smallest elevator in all of Rome. It is probably also the most inconvenient.

It's just big enough for 2 people, but if your squeeze yourselves in and pay no regard to the maximum people advisory as stated on a little sticker inside the elevator, then you can manage to ride the elevator in 3. But more than that ... really, it's not a good idea. It's got a door on the outside that closes by itself, but does occasionally stick. Of course, you don't notice that the door has stuck, not even when you've gotten yourself past the inside double doors, the ones that close onto your fingers if you don't have good timing. You also don't notice when you've somehow positioned yourself in a way to allow for the grocery bags to fit inside without actually touching the dirty floor. And you certainly don't notice when you've completely twisted your arm, hand and fingers to get the key that's in your purse that's wedged between the grocery bags that are still somehow not touching the dirty floor so that you can insert the key into the keyhole, figure out a way to turn the key so that you can push your floor button without the key turning back right side up because of the weight of the other keys on the key chain. Then, and only then, do you notice that the outside door has stuck.

More photos after the jump











No comments: