That would be me, Mrs. Moglie. Married to a native Italian, Mr. Marito.
Mother to a daughter in high school, Ms. SmartyPants and a son in middle school, Mr. Uometto.
Employed at a private British School as an English teacher and Coordinator of Children's Studies.
Part of a small, but growing Protestant church in Frascati, a small town in the hills just outside of Rome.


This is where I sometimes gripe, complain and grumble about the things I dislike, have yet to get used to or simply don't understand about bella Italia.
I do, however, have many people, places and things that I dearly love and I am more than aware of being blessed by each and every one of them.
Also - a few helpful posts for visitors to Rome or for newly arrived ex pats. Check the side bar for tags. I've even some recipes that I've borrowed, tweaked or invented. One thing I've come to love about Italy is how it's changed the way I eat - slow food !! Although ... I do miss Taco Bell ... and Jack in The Box ... and KFC ... and ::sigh::
Thanks for stopping by !!


Saturday, January 8, 2011

Super Duper Simply Scrumptious Shrimp

Or so I'm told. I cook and prepare this dish, but I don't actually eat it because, well, the food frightens me. It has eyes !! Lots and lots of eyes. I'll admit, I'm squeamish, but it's not because I don't like meat or fish. I love meat and fish !! I just don't like my meat and my fish (seemingly) staring at me while I eat it. Is that so terrible? Does that make me a hypocrite? Hmm ... If I eat one animal, I should eat all animals or none at all, you say? Sorry, my principles just don't run that deep, I'm afraid. 

I'm actually able to cook all kinds of food (that I don't personally eat) without ever touching it. Not even once. I'm thankful for being Korean - I loooove being Korean, and never more so than when I have to cook or prepare a dish of food that I don't want to touch or eat. I just use my handy dandy chopsticks !! I use them for most cooking, actually. I've put my chopsticks into categories. I don't know if anyone else does this. I don't think it's a "Korean" thing, more like a "It's-just-me-cuz-I'm-weird" thing. I have cooking regular foods chopsticks, cooking foods I don't want to touch chopsticks, chopsticks I use to eat and then some smaller kiddie chopsticks for Ms. SmartyPants and Mr. Uometto. They both actually prefer the traditionally Korean metal chopsticks, but I don't. In fact, I can't stand the thought of using them. There's something horribly icky at the idea of metal scraping metal and then putting that metal into my mouth. I can taste the metal. It's akin to the feeling some people get when faced with nails on a blackboard. *shiver

So, I use the cooking foods I don't want to eat chopsticks to cook this dish of Super Duper Simply Scrumptious Shrimp:

You'll need:
  • fresh raw shrimp (I can appreciate and see the purpose of using good quality jumbo type shrimp with eyes and shell and legs and antennae, I can. I just don't want to eat it, is all. So, you can use the scary shrimp if you like, or you can use regular, smaller faceless shrimp too - but I would imagine that the scary shrimp taste better)
  • garlic, minced (the amount is up to you, but 1-2 cloves is good, more if you like garlic)
  • fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1 Tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 - 2 Tablespoons butter
  • white wine (half to a full cup, depending on the amount of shrimp and/or personal taste)
  • salt, to taste
That's it - very easy to prepare, too !!
  1. clean the shrimp (I don't have to tell you how to do this, each person cleans their seafood in their own way ... some wash it, some soak it, some don't do anything with it ... do what suits you)
  2. heat a large pan (with a properly fitting lid)
  3. when the pan is hot, add the oil and butter and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan
  4. turn the heat to medium low and add garlic (heat for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally)
  5. when the garlic has cooked and browned slightly, turn up the heat to medium high and add the shrimp
  6. cover immediately and wait 2-3 minutes
  7. uncover and add wine (here's a good article on the merits and how-to's of cooking with wine)
  8. add parsley and salt if necessary (the wine may add saltiness, so you may not have to add salt at all)
  9. continue to cook until done (shrimp cooks fairly quickly, the ones I use are rather large and take up to 8-10 minutes ... but medium sized should take less than 5-6 minutes and smaller ones even less)
Tada !! Buon Appetito !!




While I'm at it, here's a very simple dish of  mushrooms and it's quite similar to the shrimp recipe above. Just replace the shrimp with mushrooms, omit the butter and add coarsely chopped onion (even thinly sliced carrots work well). 

Follow the directions above, substituting the shrimp, of course and if you like, you can even use a light red wine instead of white wine, but very little. The cooking time is nearly identical ^.^






*and then, of course, 
I have my fly catching chopsticks. 
Just call me Mrs. Miyagi 












No comments: